AAA recommends following these tips to stay safe while viewing light displays:
- Watch for pedestrians. People on foot may be more interested in the lights than oncoming traffic.
- Remain seated and buckled even while parked on the roadside.
- Pullover if you need to program your navigation system, check a map, take pictures, or do anything that will take your attention off the task of driving. You can also delegate those tasks to a passenger.
- Do not come to a complete stop in a traffic lane. If you encounter someone who has stopped, only pass if it is safe and legal to do so.
- If you visit a drive-thru event and are asked to turn off your headlights, remember to turn them back on when you exit.